Discussion

4 years ago

How “strong” is the PCR product of methylation specific PCR?

Does anyone know how “strong” the PCR product of methylation specific PCR is? I kept my PCR products at 4C for about 3 weeks and then at room temperature for another week. Will I be able to use them for sequencing?

Experiment: PCR Methylation specific PCR

Top comment

PCR products are incredibly stable. So, it should work for sequencing. Moreover, the newly ampiflied DNA won't get methylated in a PCR reaction as there is no methylating enzyme and polymerases don't methylate. The only thing you should take into account is; multiple freeze-thaw cycles (which can cause shearing). Hope this will help you.

Answered 4 years ago

2 Comments

Nope, DNAses are everywhere and at room temperature they will be active. The DNA in your sample will most likely be all cleaved up. It may be a neat experiment to amplify a gene like rp49 to see what you have but that may be a waste of expensive reagents and time!

Answered 3 years ago

PCR products are incredibly stable. So, it should work for sequencing. Moreover, the newly ampiflied DNA won't get methylated in a PCR reaction as there is no methylating enzyme and polymerases don't methylate. The only thing you should take into account is; multiple freeze-thaw cycles (which can cause shearing). Hope this will help you.

Answered 4 years ago

Can you help?

Start your discussion

Share your thoughts or question with experts in your field

Start discussion
Become shareholder Discussions About us Contact Privacy Terms